Letter from the Superintendent of Schools on Health/PE Standards
Dear Montgomery Township School District Community,
I hope this communication finds you well and that you are all enjoying the well-deserved summer break. The district’s summer programs are underway and the positive energy present at the end of the school year, when we celebrated all our fabulous graduates and retirees, is continuing.
The Health/PE curriculum has been a subject of discussion in recent months and I want to clarify the status and the process we are following.
- The NJ Department of Education adopted updated standards that take effect this school year.
- District staff have received training and have been discussing how these changes will be implemented in Montgomery.
- The Board of Education and I have received comments from the public and take them very seriously.
- Our curriculum professionals and teachers will be writing our curriculum this summer. It will address the NJDOE’s Performance Expectations but does not require including the specific examples (shown in parenthesis) in the NJDOE document.
- The revised curriculum will be presented at the August Board of Education meeting and will be available following that meeting on our website.
- A town hall will be facilitated by the Board of Education and administrators on the presented Health/PE curriculum to hear further public comments and questions.
Please find information on the NJDOE Health/PE standards and grade bands using this link: Family Website
While questions and comments are always welcome at our board meetings, we strive to maintain an environment of respect and dignity towards one another. I encourage all attendees to commit to our norm in board meetings of exercising civil discourse at all times. Thank you for your support in assisting us in this commitment.
Mary E. McLoughlin
Superintendent of Schools